Course information:Download information as PDF
Mental Health First Aid
- An in depth understanding of mental health and the factors that could affect wellbeing
- Practical skills to spot the triggers and signs of mental health issues
- Confidence to step in, reassure and support a person in distress
- Enhanced interpersonal skills such as non-judgemental listening
- Knowledge to help someone recover their health by guiding them to further support – whether that’s self-help resources, through their employer, the NHS, or a mix.
Session 1 - Mental Health First Aid, Mental Health, Depression
- Why Mental Health First Aid?
- The Mental Health First Aid action plan
- What is mental health?
- Impact of mental health issues
- Stigma and discrimination
- What is depression?
- Symptoms of depression
- Risk factors for depression
- Depression in the workplace
Session 2 - First Aid for Suicidal Crisis & First Aid for Depression
- Suicide figures
- Alcohol, drugs and mental health
- First aid for suicidal crisis
- Non-judgmental listening skills
- First aid for depression
- Treatment and resources for depression
Session 3 - Anxiety, Personality Disorder, Eating Disorder, Self-Harm
- What is an anxiety disorder?
- First aid for anxiety disorders
- Crisis first aid after a traumatic event
- Alcohol, drugs and anxiety disorders
- Treatment and resources for anxiety disorders
- Cognitive distortions and CBT
- Personality disorders
- Eating disorders
Session 4 -Psychosis, Recovery, MHFA Action Plan
- What is psychosis?
- Risk factors for psychosis
- Alcohol, drugs and psychosis
- Bipolar disorder
- Warning signs of developing psychosis
- Crisis first aid for acute psychosis
- Treatment and resources for psychosis
- Recovery and building resources
- Action planning for using MHFA